pineal-gland-calcificationThe Pineal Gland is what regulates your sleep.  It lets you know when it’s time to go to bed.  The Pineal Gland releases melatonin.  Very small amounts of it are found in foods such as meats, grains, fruits, and vegetables.  Natural melatonin decreases with age which may be part of, or the whole reason, for insomnia in older people.  Adequate levels of melatonin can help protect us from sleep-deprived conditions such as:

  • Low cognitive ability and impaired judgement
  • Memory loss
  • Heart disease, Heart attack, Heart failure and Irregular heartbeat
  • High blood pressure
  • Stroke
  • Diabetes
  • Low sex drive
  • Depression
  • Aging skin
  • Weight gain

Here are some nutrients to help support your pineal gland:

  • Plant based melatonin
  • Oregano oil and Need extract
  • Raw cacao
  • Chlorophyll-rich foods such as spirulina, wheatgrass and blue-green algae
  • Raw apple cider vinegar
  • Naturally occurring iodine in seaweed
  • Natural boron in beets and plums

The Thyroid Gland sets your metabolic rate which regulates every cell in your body.  ANY change in your thyroid function will have far-reaching effects.  These hormones are released by the thyroid:

  • Calcitonin: balances blood calcium levels. It lowers the level of calcium and phosphate in the blood as needed by inhibitin bone breakdown and accelerating the absorption of calcium.  If you have osteoporosis, it may very well be related to your thyroid.
  • T4 (thyroxin): the most abundant thyroid hormone made from tyrosine and iodine.

T3 (Triiodothyronine): the most active thyroid hormone – four to ten times the activity of T4. Approximately 25% of T3 is produced by the thyroid, the other 75% is converted from T4.  The conversion of T3 from T4 is determined in large part by a healthy liver, your stress levels, and the types of food you eat.

Most T3 and T4 molecules in your body are tightly bound to proteins in your blood.  Only 0.05% of these hormones are “free” – roaming in the blood – and yet these “free” hormones are the active hormones that can turn on or off the cellular functions necessary for controlling your metabolic rate.  Doctors rarely test for these “free” hormones and yet these are the most impactful hormones from the thyroid.  Make sure you request a “free hormone test” along with the regular TSH test.  If your TSH is more than 2, you have a low thyroid and need to take care of your thyroid ASAP.  The “acceptable” range from your doctor is anywhere between 0.5 – 4.5 .  If you fall within these guidelines you will not be considered a candidate for thyroid support but desperately need it.

A really easy way to help determine if you have a low thyroid is the iodine home test.  Pick up some topical iodine at a pharmacy.  Before you go to bed put a dab of it on your inner arm and let it dry.  If it is no longer there (it absorbed) when you wake up in the morning (8 – 10 hours later), you may have a thyroid function problem.
thyrosmartHere are some nutrients to help support your thyroid:

  • Potassium iodide:  50 – 100 mpg one or two times daily
  • Tyrosine: 250 – 500 mg one or two times daily
  • Ashwagandha: 75 – 150 mpg one or two times daily
  • Guggal: 50 – 100 mg one or two times daily
  • Pantothenic acid: 50 – 100 mg one or two times daily
    (Or keep it simple and take 2 capsules of Thyrosmart with breakfast daily.)
    Contact me to order.   
  • Vitamin D
  • Minerals

 

Part 3 coming soon…

Leave a Reply